Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Trump, Jessie Ventura and Ronald Reagan

After watching the speech Trump gave a couple nights ago, it finally began to sink in to me that "Wow, this guy is actually president." I imagine it's how Minnesotans felt when former pro wrestler Jessie Ventura was elected governor of their state and how Californians felt in the 60's when former B-list actor Reagan was their governor. I get it, if you disagree with the person nothing will make you respect them or the office-but to rest of us, it's still odd to think of.

Very, very few people took these men seriously before they ran for and won their offices. I don't blame people for questioning the credibility of these guys. Reagan? Silly, shallow and washed up actor. Ventura? Former pro wrestler. Need we say more? And Trump? Like him or hate him, Trump is a man who it's easy to mock and ridicule. Three marriages, multiple business failures, more over exposed and forced than Kiss merchandise, etc, etc. Yet he's our president.

I do respect the office of president, no matter who holds it. Even if you don't agree with someone at all, many people say they respect the office suddenly when their guy/girl is victorious. I try not to be like everyone else, but I'm just as guilty. It's still strange to me that Trump won the election, but his speech a few nights ago showed that he just might be up to the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment