Thursday, March 30, 2017

Giraffe watch

No, I'm not terribly interested in a pregnant giraffe. That doesn't mean I'm anti animal, that doesn't mean I'm not compassionate, it just means I have no interest in waiting for a giraffe to give birth. I'm much more interested in the slight controversy around it.

Some people are complaining that it's a needless distraction and that people watching it are weird. To me, I think distraction is a part of life.  Even though I'm not interested in it, I'm sure that many people are-or else no one would be talking about it or watching it.

I'm also pretty sure that it's a harmless distraction, and we need those things badly in life. Distraction from our problems, stresses and issues keep us sane. Some people watch sports, some people read, some people spend hours of time on the internet-no matter what we do, odds are it's harmless and even necessary. You'll burn out very quickly if you spend all your time in super serious activities and never learn to relax.


2 comments:

  1. I agree, taking time off from the seriousness of life is a healthy thing. This morning, I was stressed about the amount of work I have to do get done today, but I happen to step outside for a minute and was stunned by the sounds around me. For a few minutes, I just basked in nature and peaceful it felt. When I finally went back it, I was rejuvenated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I think it's important to remember that each of us has different ways to unwind and get distracted, and that's okay. For some of us it's going online, for others is taking a walk outside. As long as it's harmless and doesn't become your sole reason for existence, it's a-ok.

    ReplyDelete