Saturday, March 25, 2017

Smoking age being raised to 21?

Like I mentioned a few weeks ago, I'm in favor of legalizing marijuana. I'm also in favor of keeping the smoking age for tobacco products 18. 

Again, "legalization" doesn't mean "approval". I've smoked cigarettes before (haven't smoked in years) and I've smoked marijuana before as well. Even though I don't think doing either is healthy or a good idea, I don't feel particularly guilty or ashamed about either one either. Like everyone else who smoked I found it annoying and hypocritical when an obese person told me to quit smoking for "health reasons" or someone downing a six pack in college told me how dangerous pot was. 

I've always found it amusing that people who want to legalize weed generally want tobacco to be banned or the smoking age raised to 21. At eighteen you can drive a car. Join the armed forces. Be tried in court as an adult. Enter into a legal, law abiding contract. But you can't choose to have a cigar with your friends after a hard days work? That doesn't make any sense to me. 

Obviously as an LDS I try not to partake in those activities anymore, but my religion doesn't make the rules for everyone in the country. Eighteen should be the magic age-many things become legal then. It's probably best to legalize marijuana and keep tobacco legal as well-cigarette smoking is plummeting in America we need to let it decline naturally. By upping the age or banning it outright, you'll just make it taboo and flood the black markets. Not a wise or good idea at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment