Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ideas for the sequel to Mallrats

In the sequel to Mallrats, the movie by Kevin Smith, the main character Brodie would get stabbed by the homeless psychopath in the otherwise abandoned mall. His screams would be unheard because all the other stores are closed. Jay and Silent Bob would get hungry, wander to the food court, than get in their car and drive off because all the restaurants in the food court have closed. In other words, malls are quickly becoming a relic of another time.

I liked Mallrats when I was in college, but I think Clerks and Chasing Amy are better movies. In fact, I think Chasing Amy is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Every time I watch it it gets better. Mallrats? Not so much. Doesn't age well at all. 

Sears recently announced that they might be closing the entire chain. Sears is also a relic of a different era, and those feeling nostalgic about it need to accept that Sears is fading away.  Sears can't compete with Target, Wal Mart, and Amazon. Heck, even Wal Mart and Target can't compete with Amazon now.  Sears is an anchor store for many malls, so when Sears closes it'll be another big blow to malls. 

Like I've mentioned before when it comes to nostalgia I find it strange in some cases. When malls really do become a thing of the past, people will miss them and care about them much more than they do now. You would think that if people cared that much about them in the first place, they wouldn't go under in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment