Friday, March 17, 2017

Album of the weekend

Iron Maiden-The Number of the Beast

Many people think that metal is Satanic, and this album feeds into the stereotype. It's not in the least, but if you already believe that something is "Satanic" nothing I can say or do will change your mind. Surely over 85% of the people who think this album is Satanic only do so because of the name. 

It's an amazing album. If you don't like Iron Maiden, you don't really like metal. They didn't start it but they did perfect it. When it comes to aging metal bands I personally prefer Anvil and Judas Priest-but Iron Maiden is still outstanding. This is their best album. 

I had this on cassette tape, and it was one of the first tapes I had where I listened to the side two more than the side one. "Number of the Beast", "Run to the Hills" and "Hallowed be thy Name" are three great songs. "Children of the Damned" on the first side is also great. On mix tapes I'd put all four together and it would start out a great metal mix tape. I prefer "Hallowed be thy Name" because it's longer and you can sort of get lost listening to it. That is great music-where you can close your eyes and let it take you away. 

3 comments: