Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Who "wears the pants" in your relationship?

I hate this question. I hated it when I was single, I hate it now. I hated in third grade, I hate it in my mid thirties. It's an archaic question from a different era and I wish people would just stop asking it altogether. Obviously, I won't get my way and people still ask the question as an insult to those who they think aren't "masculine" or let their wife boss them around.

I get it all the time because I don't like traditionally masculine interests. I also do most of the housework so people who aren't very bright and lack cognitive abilities assume that this in some way makes my life partner "control" me or "boss me around". It's bullshit, of course. In 2016 no one should be the "boss" of a relationship. A man or a woman, a husband or a wife. Relationships of all types should be about two equal people joining together to form a greater partnership. That means equal. Equal. While open communication is key the moment one person becomes the "boss" or tries to take control it's time to have a long talk with that person.  

Insecure men try to control their women and "wear the pants". Obnoxious men give credence to that way of thinking by asking questions like "Who wears the pants?"  or quietly condoning controlling men. Yes, there are controlling women and that is wrong as well. A good relationship is about open communication and realizing that both people are "in control." 


No comments:

Post a Comment