Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Vulgar comments

In 2016 our culture has gotten more and more coarse. It's now common on Facebook to see people using language that I'm personally not comfortable with. Does that mean I'm perfect? No, obviously I use pg-13 language and I don't really have a problem with people using language that was controversial when George Carlin talked about the seven words you can't say on television. In fact, I strongly dislike the prudes in our culture who throw their hands up and act all offended when they hear the word "damn"-then talk about people being easily offended. I find that behavior priggish and puritanical.

But I don't make the rules. I understand that some people mind find that language offensive or uncomfortable. So I try my hardest not to use to excessive profanity in public. Crucially, I also see a huge difference between cursing and making vulgar sexual comments, like Trump did.

Vulgar sexual comments, in my view, do cross the line are much worse than using the foul language. Some men talk like this, some men do. Some men rob banks, some men don't. So just saying that "some men" talk like how Trump did doesn't justify it. I can't picture Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan or George W Bush talking like how Trump apparently does. Another startling reminder that the GOP has nominated a guy who in a sane society, would be on a list that keeps him 500 feet away from schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment