Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Montreal pit bull ban

This is an issue that I am so passionate about that it's hard to control my emotions. I love the city of Montreal-it's without question one of my favorite cities in North America. I've been going there since I was eighteen and it's basically the only thing I miss about living up north. Growing up I was a Montreal Canadiens fan in the heart of Bruins country. Even back then, I thought for myself wasn't afraid to show it. 

It's true, that a judge issued a stay on the Montreal ban. Doesn't matter though-they passed it in the first place. 

The city of Montreal has recently passed a pit bull ban. Like most times the government has tried to ban something, it's a bad idea in theory and an even worse one in practice. What is a pit bull? Can you tell by appearance? What if someone has a therapy dog that is a pit bull? Or one that looks scary? Another troubling problem with breed specific legislation? A dog might look dangerous but in reality be truly harmless and a dog might look harmless but in reality be truly dangerous. You can not judge on appearances without making an ass of yourself, and this goes double for dogs.

"Pit Bulls" are a specific breed, that is true, but there are many different types of dogs that can be classified as "pit bulls". Not all of them are dangerous. While it's true,  some types of pit bulls can be dangerous dogs and are involved in attacks, an out of control Shar Pei can be just as dangerous if not more so than a pit bull if not trained correctly. When it comes to dogs, it truly is the owner rather than the breed. Montreal made a huge mistake when they bought into the anti pit bull hysteria.


No comments:

Post a Comment