Sunday, October 30, 2016

Scripture Sunday 1 Nephi 14:10

This is a controversial and uncomfortable passage from scripture, but I'm not sure it should be. In my view, it talks about the exclusiveness of salvation for the LDS church. This is controversial in a post-modern world, where claiming that your religion is the sole passage to salvation is offensive. Putting aside my own personal view, I don't see why this is controversial. Every belief system is exclusive. Yes, even moral relativism and atheism.

Moral relativism claims that there is no moral truth-which is a moral truth in itself and thus excludes every religion that claims there is a moral truth. Atheism claims there is no God-thus excluding those who believe in God. No one talks about moral relativism or atheism being exclusive though, which I've always found strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment