Monday, October 24, 2016

Generation X

So while I was watching Survivor a few days ago someone talked about how he was part of Generation X. He rattled off a few characteristics that Generation X apparently has. "Hard work", "honor and discipline". Let me be very clear: I am sure that many people in Generation X have those qualities, and those are good qualities to have. I am not insulting anyone who has those qualities. (We can talk about being overly defensive and taking things personal later) but they aren't characteristics that usually apply to Generation X.

When I think of Generation X I think of the amazing movies "Slacker" by Richard Linklater, Reality Bites by Ben Stiller and the one of the few good Kevin Smith movies, "Chasing Amy". All of those movies are classics and widely considered to be Generation X landmarks. They show the good and the bad about growing up Generation X. None of those characters are particularly concerned with "hard work", "honor", and "discipline." The guy on Survivor didn't even know what generation he was part of.

By the way, what happened to Generation Y? Growing up I was told I was a member of Generation Y, the generation that apparently has been forgotten about by those who study such things. I get it, we are all individuals of course-but every individual is usually part of something bigger than who they are personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment