Monday, October 3, 2016

Snowden

So I saw the movie Snowden on Friday night with some friends. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming-like I've mentioned before I'm not a movie guy and I would rather have been watching Shark Tank or playing Xbox.

Snowden is a vastly controversial figure and you either love him or hate him. There aren't a lot of people in the middle about him or what he did. The movie won't help. As a movie, it was good (but again, I'm hardly a barometer of what makes good movies) even though it was highly romanticized and drawn out.  I particularly liked the portrayal of Snowden and his girlfriend-it showed how complex their relationship was. It also added an interesting sub plot to whatever his motivation was. He gave up what seemed to be a beautiful and fulfilling relationship (along with his freedom, belief in his country, liberty, etc) in the process of doing what he did.

The movie is very pro-Snowden. In fact, it's so pro-Snowden that it doesn't bother to bring up the other side of the argument. It portrays Snowden as incredibly moral. Maybe even saintly or Godlike. I swear there are some scenes where there might as well be a halo around his forehead as he restores sight to a blind man and turns water to wine. It's an Oliver Stone movie, so I don't expect it to be two sided. It doesn't have to be, I guess. If you want the other side you can easily find it.

None of that is to say that I didn't enjoy the movie-I did. It won't be a habit though and I highly doubt I'll bore you with any other movie reviews for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment