Monday, February 25, 2019

Missionaries can now call home more

For a church that places such a high value on families, I was always a bit uncomfortable with how missionaries had strict limits on how often they could call home. Thankfully, that has changed and they can call home weekly. It's a welcome change and no, it doesn't mean that missionaries can't "cut the cord."

Going on a mission is an incredibly stressful thing for some people-no, I never served but I've always been close to those who have. Many of them I still talk to today and I count that as a great blessing in my life. Seeing these kids-all between 18-20 years old-going so far away from home to serve the church is both inspiring but a little scary. Many times when we go off to college it's close to our home, and there are no strict rules that have to obey. When going on a mission there are strict rules that they kids have to obey, and the stress is multiplied by the fact that they can't call home as often as they should be allowed to do.

It's all changing, and thank God for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment