Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Man arrested for slapping his step daughters bully

I know what you are thinking. The man is a hero, a role model, and you'd do the same thing.  But he isn't. At all.

A grown man has no right to slap a 12 year old. No, not even if his daughter is being bullied. No, not even if it is your own child. When I was in high school, a neighbor threatened to "kill me" for driving fast in our neighborhood. Sadly, he didn't get in trouble for it-and I didn't either.  The cops should have arrested him for threatening a minor back then, but nothing happened. Interesting postscript-the guy likes to drive fast too and almost hit my mom when she was going on her walk. 

Let's say this father slaps the kid, the kid falls down on a rock and dies. He would be charged with manslaughter, and rightfully so. He'll go to jail for 4-6 years and have the lifelong guilt of killing a child for something that, looking back, is rather meaningless. He's also opened himself up to litigation. If I was the parent of the 12 year old, I'd probably sue him.

I get it, we like vigilante justice. It makes us feel noble and like white knights. But a grown up attacking a child is always inappropriate. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment