Sunday, December 31, 2017

Scripture Sunday 1 Nephi 11:3

It's impossible not to read this passage metaphorically. The "great and spacious" building that is the "pride of the world" came tumbling down, and buildings built on pride usually do eventually. It may take weeks, it may take decades-but it will happen eventually. This passage is interesting because it mentions that any nations that take action against the "apostles of the Lord" will suffer the same fate-so again, it seems very metaphorical.

I'm not sure we (LDS) should take pride in seeing the destruction of our enemies. I freely admit that I'm the last person to say anything about this, I carry grudges like Michael Corleone and I take great happiness when people who have wronged me fail in their lives. I wouldn't say it's a good way to live your life, but it is a weakness of mine. When the church seems to be under attack in this world, we can quickly get caught up in wanting to see our enemies fail. While it's a perfectly normal reaction, I'm not sure it's what God wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment