Monday, December 4, 2017

Greyhound racing

I'm not a fan of greyhound racing and my state (Florida) is thinking about banning it. Hopefully they'll put it to a ballot question and let the public decide if they want it banned or not. I'll vote for it to be banned, though I'm a bid cautious about it. Obviously, I don't like the way the dogs are treated when they are off the track. They can be pumped up with steroids and treated horrifically. While I do think that the dogs like the actual racing, I'm 100% sure that they don't like being shot in the head or otherwise put down when they lose and can't find a new home. If I'm wrong and they are treated better, great-greyhounds are wonderful pets and deserve better.

I'm concerned though. First off, I don't like banning things. We should basically be allowed to do whatever we want too as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. If you can prove that greyhound racing doesn't hurt the dogs and they live relatively decent lives outside of the track, then perhaps banning it isn't the right thing to do. I'm also worried about what will happen to the breed after greyhound tracks are banned. Will the breed disappear? If greyhounds can't be used for racing anymore, will they be able to shift into a life of companions? I hope so.

So I'd vote for the ban at this time, and I probably will in the future. It's not as black and white as I thought originally though.

No comments:

Post a Comment