Thursday, May 5, 2016

Snopes, I love you.

Remember when Grandpa told you that a story that was too good to be true was probably not true? 

My maternal grandfather was a great man. He passed away when I was a child, but I think about him often. I visited his grave every three months or so when I lived in the north. His wife, my Memere will be turning 90 this summer and she lives down in Florida. 

They had a special word for stories that were too good to be true. They called them "bunk". It's a wonderful old word that really means bullshit, but they were too polite to swear in front of their seven year old grandson. Cool thing-my love of hard boiled detective stories about grisly murders comes from my Memere. LA Noire is one of my favorite recent games. Sure it's replay value isn't high but it's fantastic. 

Snopes is one of the greatest websites out there. Whenever a story comes out and goes viral, my first instinct is to believe it-than check Snopes. Many, many people say that they follow their "gut" and it's the best choices they make-but that is not the option for me. Following my gut is usually a terrible choice and following my head is usually the best one. 

Snopes will debunk anything. From politics to urban legends to fake news stories-if it's not true, Snopes will find out. Snopes does what journalists should do, but in the time we live in today it is literally impossible to stop fake stories from going viral. Snopes seems to be focusing more on news stories than whacky urban legends and thank God for that. With the right believing everything negative about Obama and the left believing everything negative about Bush-Snopes stands alone in telling the truth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment