Thursday, May 26, 2016

Amy Schumer and fat jokes

Amy Schumer has said some really nasty things in the name of comedy. She'll make fun of anyone who isn't exactly like her or her friends. Some people think she is edgy and I'm sure she thinks of herself as edgy and cutting edge. Sarah Silverman was the taste of the hip comedy crowd about five-six years ago and to Schumers credit, she isn't as disgusting at Sarah Silverman. 

Amy Schumer is also the most thin skinned comedian out there. If someone says anything about her weight-she'll play the victim. Apparently someone "touched" her at a show in the Carolinas and she decided that she won't do meet and greets or anything else like that. Obviously she doesn't want to hang around with the lowly commoners.  I get the feeling that when she makes fun of people-and she should-she'd raise hell if they complained. But if you make jokes about her size-that's "crossing the line".

For the record, I don't think that jokes about the weight of a girl (or guy, really) are funny, but I'm not a comedian either.  I have to admit that I've probably said things that are low class or inappropriate before-but I don't complain when someone fires back at me.

Lisa Lampenelli surely gets jokes about her weight and physical appearance and she doesn't complain about them. Insult comics and comics with edgy humor lose the right to play the victim when they become the punchline.

No comments:

Post a Comment