Thursday, May 12, 2016

Mormons and R rated movies

As most people know, active LDS aren't really "allowed" to watch R rated movies. To non-members, the terminology "allowed" is creepy. Even to members, it can seem creepy sometimes. 

It is true that LDS leaders and prophets have cautioned members against watching R rated movies. As we all know many R rated movies show inappropriate conduct that LDS try to avoid. Sometimes it's the language, sometimes it's the sexuality. It can also be the violence. 

I watch very little movies, and most movies I do watch are documentaries. I can't talk about the content of movies today, though I've heard people complain that even PG-13 movies nowadays are worse than R rated movies were twenty years ago. For the most part, I don't believe it. Every single generation has thought the standards they have in the current times are worse than the standards they grew up with. It's just part of the growing up process. The phone was considered immoral when it first was created, as was the automobile. Is their more cursing in PG-13 movies now than there was when I was growing up? I have no idea but I sort of doubt it. 

There is also a difference in context. You can't make a war movie where the guys in the trenches say "Steve, I haven't seen my wife or girlfriend in six months. Golly gee shucks, I sure do miss her!" You can't make a movie about the mafia where Tony Soprano shakes hands with his New York City adversary and they go off into the sunset for lemonade and hugs. I'm not saying you should watch R rated movies-whatever you do is your own business-but I am saying you should be careful not to condemn every single R rated movie out there as "filth." 

You also shouldn't beat yourself up and hold yourself out to be the last martyr of decency. If you are on a plane or a bus where an R rated movie is showing, constantly complaining about it and demanding it be shut off will make everyone not listen to you. Instead of making a scene, put your headphones on. Read a book. Engage someone else in conversation. No one likes "that guy/girl" who tries to be a killjoy. You can listen to the spirit and be a good moral example without being a buzzkill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment