Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Pit bulls

Upfront-I own an English Bull Terrier, which in my personal opinion are the greatest dogs in history. No breed is more playful, loyal, lovable and protective than an English Bull Terrier. I've owned other breeds in the past and I've certainly loved every dog I've ever had, but Bull Terriers are my favorite. Some people classify them as "pit bulls" because of their background in dog fighting.  

First off, while there is a breed called an "American Pit Bull Terrier" there are several breeds classified as "pit bulls". 

Secondly, there is no such things as "lock jaw". How this urban legend got started is beyond me. While it's true most pit bull breeds have strong jaws due to their fighting lineage, their jaws locking up is totally untrue. 

Thirdly, they aren't known to turn on their owners-unless their owners mistreat them. Breaking news: If you mistreat a pug, it'll probably turn on you as well. I like pugs a lot, for the record.

Fourthly, yes, many bad guys own pit bulls but not all pit bull owners are bad guys. 

Do you own a pit bull? What drugs do you deal? I've gotten that before, and it's obnoxious. Ironically, I got it once from a Rottweiler owner. Nothing against Rotties, which I also think are beautiful dogs but Rottweilers also have had a troubled reputation in the past. 

You know who I blame? People who own bully breeds and have no idea how to control them. Listen carefully-these dogs are not for everyone, especially first time owners. I'm not naive to their power or potential danger. After all an annoying, out of control Yorkshire Terrier can be a pest, but an annoying, out of control Staffordshire can be truly dangerous. When I see a person who let's their bully breed rule the place, I want to scream. They give all of us bad names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment