Friday, May 20, 2016

Album of the weekend

Judas Priest-British Steel

At it's core, rock and roll is about rebellion. It's about smoking in the boys room, war pigs, fighting the law, lynching the landlord (hypothetically!) and simply put, breaking the law. Judas Priest are the granddaddys of metal for many reasons, not the least of which is that they set the standard for how a metal band should look and sound. Sure it can be argued that Diamondhead, Black Sabbath and Motorhead also influenced metal-and they did-but Judas Priest is often times ignored in the metal conversation.

I don't know why. Judas Priest is outstanding. They can sneer at "the man" (Breaking the Law) and do rebellion better than anyone. They can be over the top without being cheesy, they can be violent without being dangerous, and they can be confident without being arrogant.

British Steel is thought of to be their masterpiece, and while I don't agree (I think their recently released Redeemer of Souls is their masterpiece) it's not something I'm going to start a brawl over. On this album I have to confess to liking the two biggest songs (Breaking the Law and Living after Midnight) but most of the songs here are good.

I have a spiked bracelet that my girl doesn't let me wear. I can see why-it's dorky and dated. When I tell her "Hey, it's in honor of Judas Priest. " She just rolls her eyes. She also rolls her eyes because I think I saw Rob Halford at a mall in NH once. 

She's always been more into punk then metal, anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment