Saturday, May 14, 2016

Floyd Mayweather and talent

I've always been a boxing fan, but I've never liked MMA. Something about boxing that I find superior to MMA. Probably that in boxing, there seems to be more rules. You can only use your fists and your wits. Sure you need agility, balance and reflexes -but all those don't matter if you can't throw a punch. 

During the "Fight of the Century" which turned out to be a disastrous fight for boxing-I thought Mayweather would beat Manny. I was correct. Most people who understand how boxing works thought the same thing. This got me into trouble. 

A good friend of mine said it was "scary" that I supported Mayweather over Pacquiao. He said it "frightened him" that I could support Mayweather. This is a guy (my friend, shockingly I do have them) who is a hero. He's a veteran, biker, plays with guns-basically one tough guy. Somehow me saying I thought Mayweather "scared him". 

I tried to explain to him that no, I don't like Mayweather personally. In fact, I think he's a thug and several other unprintable words. I do try to keep this blog PG-13, after all. It was hopeless. It was like talking to a wall. Someone he couldn't get over the fact that thinking someone would win a fight because he is the better fighter doesn't mean he is the better person morally. Though Manny is no saint either, for the record. 

So, so many people are like my good friend. They can't separate their own subjective feelings from accepting and seeing objective talent. Bluntly put, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers of all time. He's a undefeated in his fights-a staggering record of 49-0. Rocky Marciano, another of the best boxers of all time-is also 49-0. That's outstanding. Floyd has a defensive ability that is like no other I've ever seen. 

But like I mentioned-he's a scumbag. He has domestic violence issues and is overall an unpleasant person. But that doesn't mean he's not a good boxer. I can't let my personal dislike of him cloud my judgement of his talent. 

By the way, I have nothing against MMA. It's a legit sport that I can easily see why people like. It's just never been my thing, nothing more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment