Tuesday, March 1, 2016

"Be a Man"

Is there anything more obnoxious than that phrase? 

A key tenant of feminism is not letting a woman be defined by her gender. A woman can be intelligent, independent and glamorous at the same time. It's 2016 and this really shouldn't be an issue. 

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, men interested in non masculine things virtually all the time had their masculinity/sexuality questioned by people who, simply put, were not that bright. I would solve this by going out with their girlfriends (You want to see gay? I'll show you how gay I am) -but that didn't stop the gay accusations. No, there is nothing wrong with be being gay (I've said many times I'm pro gay marriage. Still am) but in the 90's it was, sadly, viewed as an insult. 

I still get questions on my masculinity all the time because I know nothing about cars, would rather go to Rooms to Go than Home Depot, and have some other "feminine" qualities. It's still obnoxious but it really does show more on the accuser than accused. Traditional gender roles are on the way out, and good riddance to them. Nothing wrong with being old school, but you don't have to drive a truck, watch football and know how to shoot a gun to be a man. 

(But I can shoot a gun and drive a standard)  

No comments:

Post a Comment