Monday, March 7, 2016

Overrated bands

Upfront caveat-I know there is no greater insult than hearing when someone doesn't like your favorite bands. Wars have been started over less, and I understand that. We are all fanboys and fangirls at heart. It's not personal, and I hope you don't take it as such. 

Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Here are bands I either don't really like or think are overrated.

1. Green Day-Not a bad band really-just vastly overrated. The only types of people I have utter disdain for are Boston sports fans and those who dye their hair blue and say they've "been punk forever man" Green Day fans are the Boston sports fans of music. They both think their teams/Green Day are "the greatest" and know nothing about the sport or music itself.  Did I have Dookie at age 14? Sure did. I loved it, and I really do enjoy some of their other stuff. But Green Day is still overrated. 

2. Radiohead-when I was in high school, I thought life sucked and I that I was "dark and angsty". Think a male version of Daria or Angela from "My So Called Life" in other words, I tried to be a 90's a version of Holden Caufield. After college, I grew up. Radiohead is an acquired taste, I guess. Acquired by hipsters and people who are trying to seem cool in order to impress you with their "totally unique" music taste. I had a cousin like this. He talked about a "band I never heard of named Primus". When I told him that "Jerry was a race car driver" (one of their better songs) he looked mortified. He was trying to show me how hip, obscure and cool his music taste was-and by definition-how uncool, stupid and square mine was-but I rained on his parade. Needless to say, I'm not wildly popular at family reunions. 

3.Led Zeppelin-Yes, you read that right. I do not like Led Zeppelin. Well, the better description is that I find them overrated and am super picky about their songs. Let me start with the prom song of the 70's, "Stairway to Heaven".  For 4/5ths of the song, it's an overdone and over the top ballad (And I like Kiss!) that goes nowhere. I don't care about a lady who is looking for a staircase and no, that's not "deep". However the last 1/5th of the song is pretty good.  Led Zeppelin IV is fairly good, it does have some good songs (Black Dog, Rock and Roll) but it is not the best rock album of all time. So I do like some of their songs -but they are overrated. 

4.Metallica-Let me explain. Metallica pre "The Black Album" is correctly viewed as one of-if not the greatest-thrash bands of all time. For people who like metal, Metallica is rightly iconic. Then "The Black Album" came out.Widely considered their masterpiece, I believe this was the beginning of the end. Enter Sandman is a good rock song-not a good metal song. It's short for a Metallica song. It lacks the longer guitar solos that their previous songs off Justice and Ride the Lightning have. That would be okay if there was a freshness to the songs that Kill em All had (easily their best album and hands down one of the greatest metal albums in history). Ask yourself-would "Unforgiven" or "Nothing else Matters" be on Puppets of Ride the Lightning? No. Even the slower songs on those albums have an "edge" that the Black Album doesn't. The Black album isn't bad-it's just a signifier of what was to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment