Monday, February 29, 2016

Grand Theft Auto

I am a video game junkie, in fact, it's one of my true passions in life. They've given me so much joy and  entertainment.

But that doesn't blind me.

If you let your minor child play Grand Theft Auto, you have failed as a parent. The GTA series are without question among the most groundbreaking and innovative games in history. Personally, I don't like to play them though. I'm awful at them, and killing police officers and dealing drugs doesn't appeal to me, even in a fantasy setting. It's no big deal if you choose to play them, these are just my thoughts. 

I am a huge fan of the Fallout series, which also has drug references. As an adult, I know the difference between fantasy and reality. So I have no problem with playing "adult" like video games.

Sure, of course you have the right to let them play it. But kids minds are underdeveloped and impressionable. This is a murder simulator.

And no, games don't have to to have adult content to be breathtakingly good, even as an adult. Mario 64 is without question one of the greatest games of all time. No vulgarity or offensive content. Thank God Mario will never start shooting hookers. You can't go wrong with anything Mario or Zelda, usually.

Mormons are famous for not watching R rated movies. I have no problem with watching R rated movies if they have artistic merit. "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke is one of my favorite movies of all time, and that's tough to watch. I've only seen it once. It's certainly R rated for a reason.

Video games can be artistic, and GTA certainly is. But I don't think a good.

No comments:

Post a Comment