Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Penn and Teller

I'm a huge mark for magic. I love seeing even the basic tricks. Do I think there is supernatural powers at work on display? No, of course not. That's what makes it fun. A good magicain can convince you that supernatural things are happening, even though logically we know they aren't. From making a handkerchief disappear into your bare hands or sawing a person in half without killing them-magic is cool. 

Penn and Teller were magicians and from what I've heard-they still are. Though now they are more noted for their cutting edge and beautiful satires of modern day America. I'm going to be blunt-I love this duo. I love their libertarianism, their cynical attitudes about everything and their skepticism. Sure, I know they are atheists. I don't care. I'm all for tolerance, including being accepting of those things I don't really agree with. And I don't. In case you can't tell, I'm no atheist. 

One of, if not my favorite TV shows was their recent show on Showtime. In it, they debunk everything from creationism to second hand smoke to ghosts and gun control. Seriously, if you can handle a rigorous debate and views that you might not agree with-watch this show. 

I admit I'm just as gullible when it comes to pseudo science and wasting money. I spend a lot of money on bottled water-when Penn and Teller debunked that one, it was one of my favorite episodes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment