Saturday, March 26, 2016

Thoughts on college degrees

Upfront-No, I didn't go to the ivy league. I went to a public college (UNH) and my BA is in English. Like the song in Avenue Q says, it's a relatively useless degree. I knew it would be tough to find employment with it. I majored for love of the subject.  

Now that that's out of the way, time for some truth. You shouldn't waste time and money getting a degree just to have a degree. It probably won't help you in the long run, and it could add to some major debt. It would be best in many cases to develop and master a skill that will make you more money in the long run. 

This is inspired by that annoying as hell University of Phoenix "If I Only Had a Brain" commercial. Again, I didn't go to the Ivy League, so take it with a grain of salt-but be very careful about the "for profit" universities. A degree from a place like that won't be looked at the same way as a degree from a traditional school. 

University of Phoenix accepts one hundred percent of it's applicants. That's not a good sign. If everyone has a degree, it cheapens the work that is put into getting one. 

To be clear, this isn't about anyones life choices. After all it is your life and not mine. I can't make choices for you. But making a huge time and money commitment to get a degree that may not provide returns for a long time is something you need to think long and hard about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment