Thursday, October 26, 2017

Women who like sports vs men who like crafts

Thirty years ago, it used to be considered odd if a woman liked sports or a man liked to knit/crochet or make soap. Now, more and more women are into sports and you'll often see women give amazing commentary and insight while watching sporting events. I love seeing it-and I feel sorry for women who thirty years ago and back might have loved sports as well but whose opinions were not taken seriously. It's a shame that happened at all, but luckily I do think it's changing. Now if you are a man and you make stupid of sexist comments about women who enjoy sports you'll be called out for it by many people, other men included.  

I wonder if it's the same way for men who like traditionally feminine interests. Sadly, I don't think so. I am a guy who loves to make soap. I tease myself and my friends by acknowledging that it's a rare breed of heterosexual guy who has this hobby, and I can take some good natured ribbing about it. I wonder if men who crochet or knit get the same treatment as women who like sports, car repair, or other traditionally masculine activities? 

No comments:

Post a Comment