Monday, October 9, 2017

Bipartisanship

Politics is largely smoke and mirrors. It's 90% garbage, spin, and twisting morals to suit your own political needs. Every side is guilty of this. In the book, "The Politician:An Insiders View of the John Edwards Scandal" political operative Andrew Young says it best "Everyone thinks politics is gross, but I was beginning to think it's disgusting. You go into politics because you hope that the good you do outdoes the bad." In the end, I think Young realizes that it's virtually impossible to "do good" in politics. You can think you are doing good, but in the end-it's all garbage.

The term "bipartisanship" epitomizes the word "spin". Ask yourself this-when your side wins, do you suddenly want them to throw down "bipartisanship"? No, you want them to run over the other side and advance their goals at every cost. "Bipartisanship" is what you say when you lose. It's the same with the word "Unity". "Unity" in politics always means "unite under my values and ignore yours." Unity means the same in religion too. Are Mormons going to suddenly "untie" with Catholics if it means they can no longer view the Book of Mormon as scripture? Of course not.

I'm ashamed of myself for many of the things I thought and did in the past. I honestly thought that my side was full of noble beings doing the best for the country. Now I realize that in all cases, politics is always choosing the lesser evil. All sides, from Libertarian to Democrat to Republican, are useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment