Saturday, October 21, 2017

Is the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" blasphemous?

I think I'm going to start a Facebook group called "Heterosexual men who like musicals". We seem to be a rare breed, not many of us out there. It's a dangerous world as well-aside from assaults on our sexual preference we also get accused of all sorts of things. I posted on my Facebook wall a few days ago that I was listening to Jesus Christ Superstar, a favorite musical of mine, and someone said doing so was blasphemy.

This is lazy thinking by Christians. The musical Jesus Christ Superstar is no more blasphemous than the movie "The Passion of the Christ." For some reason, people like accusing everything religious of being offensive. Don't get me wrong, some religious artworks are offensive. The Virgin Mary covered in cow dung comes to mind but I'm sure there are others. Jesus Christ Superstar is strictly the life of Christ presented in musical format. It's only blasphemous to people who are looking for a reason to be offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment