Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Underrated movies

Waterworld-Okay, I've already confessed to liking the movie so it shouldn't be a surprise. The truth is that I've always loved the ocean and I've related to the Costner character. I can be standoffish and aloof at time (like we all can) and he fundamentally is a solitary person. If he had wi-fi and some classic video games on his raft I'd be him. It's not that we dislike being around people (though he sort of does). He's like Han Solo. He places a high value on his freedom and independence. The story is also innovative and even though it's an impossibility (no, the glaciers melting would not cause the world to be covered in water) it's still an interesting tale.

Sneakers-This is a snarky spy movie that is full of interesting characters and was seen by all of two people. My Mom and I when I was in 10th grade. Sure it's against things I agree with politically (It's Hollywood, after all) but I still really like this movie. It's about a group of computer hackers, ex-CIA agents and conspiracy theorists who team together to retrieve "the ultimate codebreaker", a device that could in theory break every code out there. It's technology is dated (it's from a different age) it shoves it's beliefs down your throat-but it's still a funny and fun movie that keeps you guessing.

Sleepers-I carry grudges like Michael Corleone in the Godfather. I'd like to say that converting helped me with forgiveness, and it did to a point. This movie is tough to watch and it deals with a disturbing subject matter and it's not for everyone. Without providing a spoiler, the movie shows how far four people will go to settle scores. It's certainly not a good way to live your life in the non movie world, but even though it's troubling to watch it is enjoyable to see the bad guys get their just due in a graphic (though satisfying) way.

Phone booth-Okay, it's a Joel Schumacher film an that alone usually means it will be terrible. Make no mistake-this movie does what Schumacher films usually do-it's shoves it's morality down your throat and reminds you that you are the scumbag if you disagree with it. But I got over it quickly in this case. This was a very cool idea (an unseen sniper holding you hostage and could kill you in a minute) wrapped around a morality tale. Colin Farrell (remember him?) plays an arrogant NYC publicist who gets slapped down by the sanctimonious sniper. Won't say what happens, but I will say that despite the terrible NYC accent he tries to have, Colin Farrell is amazing and surprisingly  sympathetic as the focal point of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment