Thursday, August 18, 2016

Billie Joe Armstrong apparently loves Donald Trump

We all know that the lead singer of Green Day, Billie Joe is an avid right winger and outspoken conservative. After all, most punk stars are known for being republicans at heart. 

Green Day has become overrated, but for a brief time they owned the punk scene. Their first few albums are fantastic and while I don't like what they've become I do recognize their influence to modern music. All of us had Dookie, after all.

Billie Joe called Trump "Hitler", and that's of course a stupid thing to say. Comparing anyone to Hitler (yes, even Trump) shows that you don't understand history or care that much about the victims of actual Nazis. It's okay, no one should go to Billie Joe for sympathy or historical knowledge in the first place anyway.

Billie Joe thinks it's punk to give the finger to the establishment-and he's right. Punks do their own thing and think for themselves. Sadly though, if Billie really wanted to be punk, he'd give the finger to the establishment if the establishment was liberal or conservative. I'm waiting for him to create a new American Idiot in regards to NSA spying. Or create a song singing the heroics of Edward Snowden. (If he has, I apologize. I don't listen to Green Day much)

I don't like Trump either but I can't compare the man to Hitler. Trump is an authoritarian, but I still can't believe that he's setting up concentration camps for his enemies.

Then again, the Dead Kennedys did say "Close your eyes, can't happen here." So I might be whistling past the graveyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment