Monday, July 15, 2019

WWE Next

On Saturday night the WWE came to my town, which is actually very small. I'm not complaining, I prefer it that way. If I could rule by fiat I'd stop all construction in my town and keep it rural. So it was very surprising when their B-team came by. I've mentioned before that I don't watch the WWE on television and while I used to be a big fan, I no longer really care about the sport.

But I'm fascinated by how it's treated in society. WWE fans are considered illiterate people living in trailers. In fact, the it's cool to look down on WWE fans. After all, they don't know it's fake, right? Here's a newsflash: 85% of wrestling fans know it's scripted but want to suspend their disbelief and be told a story. It's almost like, gasp, watching a movie. We know that the actors are acting but if Tom Cruise broke character in Mission Impossible 5 and said "Hey everyone, this actress is a slut. Just wanted you to know that. Ha ha Ha." it would ruin the narrative. So is WWE "fake"? Sure is. Just like the movies. Oddly though, no one calls a movie buff "white trash".

Class snobbery shows up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment