Tuesday, July 23, 2019

I just watched Chasing Amy...

Last night I had this strange urge to watch a movie I've seen before many times, but it will always be one of my all time favorite movies. Chasing Amy. Here are some thoughts I wrote down while watching it.

This movie gets it's own tagline wrong. Holden loves Alyssa for who she is, how he loves her is irrelevant.

This movie (And Clerks/Clerks II) could make an A+ play. There are only a few different settings and they could easily be put on a stage. They are also dialogue heavy, require a small cast and all those things would translate well to a staged version.

I want them to stay together but I know they shouldn't. Alyssa is clearly more attracted to women than men. Sad that Holden had to learn the hard way that people don't change. I take that back. People do change (after all, Holden himself does) but they have to choose to change themselves.

Banky may love Holden but he isn't attracted to him. There is such a thing as friendship and not every relationship is sexual in nature. We already know that Banky has strictly dated women and he doesn't seem overly repulsed by homosexuality or overly comfortable with it. In other words. he seems like a normal guy.

Jay and Silent Bob might provide the wisdom and revelation that Holden needs but the movie would have been better without them. I get it, all his movies take place in the same universe (or at his point in his career, they did) and they do provide funny lines, but the climatic scene with Holden, Banky and Alyssa still could have existed without them. Thought I admit that Silent Bob is dead on and totally accurate in his description about men when talking about his relationship with "Amy".

The ending scene can make me cry (which isn't hard, I routinely cry at movies) and is heartbreaking and incredibly realistic. From Bankys reaction, the super fan that Banky is dealing with-and especially, the interaction between Alyssa and Holden. I remember watching it and praying that they'd get back together but I admit it's probably not how the situation would play out. Alyssa is a lesbian and Holden didn't really blow his chance with her-it never would have worked out in the long run.

Kevin Smith has only made three good movies. Chasing Amy, Clerks, and Dogma. Virtually everything else he has made (yes, including Mallrats, which does not age well) isn't very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment