Saturday, July 6, 2019

Green Iguanas

Like many people are aware of, Green Iguanas are an invasive species in my home state of Florida. As cute as they might be (and they are) they are a massive pain in the ass in the southern part of the state.  I live about two hours north of Tampa so it's officially "too cold" for them to live up here, though I've heard rumors of people seeing them in the wild up here.

They have a nasty reputation of attacking small dogs and even people. Not to mention the harm they do pets and our families, they also destroy gardens, eat through houses, and burrow into attics. They also create a huge mess for obvious reasons. Oh yeah, one thing they like doing is moving into the homes of the Burrowing Owl, which I think is endangered (not sure about that). In other words, they are annoying pests who need to be eliminated.

Oddly, that's controversial, to say we need to kill them. And yes, we need to kill them. Some people think it's "heartless" or "cruel" and of course they shouldn't suffer. But it's not heartless or cruel. Simply put, the well being of my family and my own pets, not to mention my property and the states natural resources, come before a wild animal that can be quite dangerous. Everyone wants to save the animals and no one wants to be cruel, but when an iguana attacks your Pug, you want to kill the bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment