Monday, August 27, 2018

Twitter costs an intern her job

NASA apparently fired an intern after using foul language on Twitter. Let this be a lesson everyone-what you say and how you act on social media matters. Poor girl was just excited, I understand that and no, I'm not really offended by her language. However NASA apparently disagrees with me, and it sounds like they took away her internship. I understand why NASA did that. I assume that it's a highly competitive position with many people applying for it. If you mess up at all, it's going to someone else.

I don't have a Twitter, but I do have a Facebook. I post some things that might appear controversial or darkly humorous, but I accept the risk that it brings and I know that no, you can't please everyone. Having your boss on your Facebook page might lead to trouble down the road. Since Twitter seems to be more public than Facebook, having a Twitter at all might be more dangerous.

We live in the social media era. That should be obvious. What is not obvious is how to behave on social media. The girl here learned a valuable and troubling lesson-Twitter never forgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment