Friday, August 10, 2018

Album of the weekend-Musical Month

The Avenue Q original cast recording 

I will have always have a crush on Kate Monster. 

This musical is not LDS approved. It's vulgar, crass, Un-pc, and certainly rated R. It's also hilarious, touching, insightful and an absolute treat. Avenue Q tells the generic story of a small group of people trying to make it in NYC. Oh yeah-they are all poor, young, hungry and portrayed by puppets interacting with "normal" actors and actresses. 

I have yet to see Avenue Q live, and that's a shame. It went to Boston while I was still in college and couldn't afford food, much less show tickets. Rent made musicals hip again, and I'll forever be grateful to it for doing so. Avenue Q made musicals subversive and hilarious again, and I'll forever be grateful to Avenue Q for that as well. 

Best songs from Avenue Q are "For Now", "Everyones a Little Bit Racist", "My Girlfriend who Lives in Canada". 

No comments:

Post a Comment