Friday, August 17, 2018

Album of the weekend-Musical month

Tick Tick Boom!

I think Jonathon Larson wrote this musical before his much more famous one, Rent. While both musicals are fantastic, I do prefer Tick Tick Boom. I'm hardly an expert on the life of Larson, but Tick Tick Boom seems more personal. The main character is, interestingly enough, named John. While it's true, writers and characters are often different, this is obviously a roman a clef in musical form.

Tick Tick Boom is incredibly moving. I find myself having met people like the characters, or more interestingly, wanting to meet people who are like the characters. They are real people who go through the same problems and ask the same questions that many of us have before. At the end of the musical, you find yourself wanting the characters to succeed, and more importantly, caring deeply if they don't.

An underrated gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment