Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The decline and fall of ESPN

I've talked about it before, and I apologize but I think the decline of ESPN (and make no mistake, ESPN is in serious trouble) is indicative of the the rapid change in our culture. ESPN could never understand that the way we get information has drastically changed. In the old days, we had to wait for Sportscenter to announce the scores and highlights of the games we might have missed. Now, we can get it online instantly or better, while they are happening. Sears, JC Penny, and Macy's are learning this lesson too-I can do everything from a computer of smart phone screen and I don't have to adjust my life/or schedule to check the score or buy pants-you have to adjust yours.

I'm not sure that politics has a lot to do with why ESPN is fading right now. Oh sure, maybe 1-2% of people won't watch because they don't like what they think is a left wing tilt to ESPN, but 98-99% of people don't care and certainly won't adjust their viewing patterns because of that-they'll adjust their viewing patterns for the reasons I mentioned in the first paragraph-they can get whatever scores or highlights they need from many, many other options now.

No comments:

Post a Comment