Saturday, April 28, 2018

Is the guitar on the decline?

Guitar Center, the that sells pianos (kidding) is reportedly about to go bankrupt. That does't always mean it'll go out of business, but that's not a good sign either.

Gibsons, the famous guitar maker, is also in serious trouble as well.

Obviously, it's not a good time to be associated with the guitar. I don't play the guitar (the lessons I took proved to me that I have no musical talent) but I certainly love the sound of it. I don't listen to top 40 or trendy new music, but I do see that there has been a shift to dance/R & B/electronica-leaving no room for traditional bands that relied on playing instruments like the guitar. That's depressing, and yes, I know I can't do anything about it. Hopefully it's just a phase and the music industry will change once again.

But I'm not optimistic. The greatest guitar players out there are getting older, and no one under 30 is famous for playing the guitar. That's a troubling sign, and I can see why these companies are going out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment