Saturday, July 8, 2017

SNES classic

With the resounding success of the NES classic, Nintendo decided to take it up a notch. They are releasing an SNES classic console.  This is Nintendo in their prime-some of the greatest games ever made are on this system.

The original Nintendo Entertainment System saved video games. For many reasons, the home console market was on life support in the early 80's. Atari made several mistakes, and retailers seemed to think that home video game systems were a passing fad. The Nintendo Entertainment System revolutionized both video games and it made retailers more comfortable with the idea of selling consoles in their stores. After the success of the original NES, Nintendo made sure it wasn't a one hit wonder with the creation of the Super Nintendo.

The Super Nintendo classic has some great games so far. A special treat that I was not expecting was the first Super Mario Brothers RPG. It's sadly forgotten about in the Mario Brothers canon, and I think it was released towards the end of the SNES craze. Thank God that Nintendo is including this one with the package.

2 comments:

  1. I still have fond memories of my first NES when it came out. Playing duck hunt with the gun and trying to beat the original super mario brothers are great memories! My wife still loves Dr. Mario as one of her favorite games of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big retro gamer, but I've still never beat the original Super Mario Brothers for NES. Been playing it for 30+ years and still can't beat it. I've come close though. Dr. Mario is a classic, I love that game too.

    ReplyDelete