Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Participation trophies

My generation was the first to get participation trophies-the ones given to people for just showing up. It frustrates me a great deal when people blame Generation Y/Millennials for getting them. After all, what could a first grader do about it? Shouldn't you blame the parents who gave them to us instead? This shows the uselessness and frankly, idiocy of blaming the generations that come after you. If the upcoming generation is truly that bad then the people who raised them surely have some of the blame, don't they? No one thinks this way because it's always easier to blame someone else than think that maybe, just maybe, the blame falls on them as well.

Participation trophies are a nice idea for first graders and little kids. Eventually though, you need to accept that you won't always win a prize for just showing up. God/evolution or whatever you want to call it does not give talent that matches your passion. Believe me, I know this firsthand. In my dream world I'd be a guitar player/singer in a band. Sadly I have no talent in either one of those areas. So my passion for music hasn't faded but I've learned to express it in another way. You can love music deeply and have no talent for actually playing it. If I stood on stage and expected people to idolize me for playing guitar when I can't play a damn chord-blame the participation trophies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment