Friday, July 14, 2017

Album of the weekend

Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet

Until very, very recently I've never been a big Bon Jovi fan. I've always thought them to be overrated and liked by people who are from New Jersey just because they are from New Jersey as well. Nothing wrong with civic pride, that's why Aerosmith is so popular in New England and every region certainly has their hometown band. Bon Jovi never did it for me though.

While this album is far from perfect, I can see why someone would enjoy it, and in a way, I can see why some people like Bon Jovi more than I imagined.

"Livin on a Prayer" has broken though rock culture and become an anthem for people just starting out in life and not having much money. I was there once, and many people just starting out are like that now. If you need a theme song to try and get you through hard times, this might be one for you. My personal favorite is the first one on the album, "Let it Rock". Bon Jovi is trying to make a statement song like "Rock and Roll all Nite" or "Look What the Cat Dragged In" and while it's not as good the other anthems I mentioned, it's still the best song on the album.

Life is about growth, and Bon Jovi deserves a second look from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment