Sunday, November 27, 2016

Scripture Sunday 3 Nephi 13:5-7 part two

I like this passage so much that I split it in two passages.

When you pray, pray in private. This seems counter productive because like you, I am sure that we've seen people in public pray. These people are not breaking scripture in my opinion, unless they make a huge deal of it. If before you eat a meal in a restaurant you pray loudly to show how holy and wonderful you are, this passage is speaking right to you. Be humble in prayer, and do not be obnoxious.

Finally, this passage talks about praying in repetition. In direct contrast to Jesus telling us to pray the Lords prayer in the bible (Matthew 6:9-13). Most LDS don't use this pray, but I still do. To me this passage is a warning that you need to actually believe the words, not just repeat them foolishly and with no passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment