Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Scalia and Ginsburg

Justice Scalia passed away recently. He was a judicial heavyweight and his legacy will not be forgotten for many years. He was a loud, abrasive and pithy to those who disagreed with him. Frankly, he was correct more often than he was wrong. No, that doesn't mean I agree with him on everything but I generally do agree with him. You know who one of his best friends on the court was? Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Yes, that one. The ACLU member who disagreed with Scalia on virtually everything political. For all we know, that could have been why they were good friends.

"We disagree on everything so vehemently that it's quite a pleasure to drink with him."-Hunter S Thompson on his friendship with Pat Buchanan. To the shock and dismay of many Larry Flynt actually considered Jerry Falwell a friend too. In case you have to be told, Larry Flynt and Jerry Falwell don't exactly agree on much. Neither did Thompson and Buchanan or Ginsburg and Scalia.

While my closest friends and I generally agree on things, there are exceptions. I'm super close to my little brother even though we disagree politically. Luckily we agree on music, sports, movies and books. When we do talk about politics it's always polite, which is important. He's taught me more about his side than I could ever teach him about mine. The same goes for several other close friends who I wouldn't vote for at gunpoint and I'm sure the feeling is quite mutual. Friendship is more important to me than politics and it's rare that disagreements ever become personal.

I can't recommend enough getting friends who disagree with you. It helps you remember that intelligent and decent people can disagree with you and remain intelligent and decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment