Saturday, November 26, 2016

Hamilton

Mike Pence was recently in the audience of the wildly popular Hamilton musical. Apparently the cast saw him and decided to "speak truth to power!" and to "question authority!" and after preforming they called him out. I'm all for "speaking truth to power" and "questioning authority"-hell, I've been doing it since 2008-but I have some issues with this one.

First and foremost-the audience didn't vote for Trump. I'm guessing probably 75-80% of the audience voted for Clinton and out of that-the other 25% or so probably didn't even vote. It wouldn't be surprising to me if no one in the audience at the time, and I mean no one with the exception of Pence himself and maybe his wife-voted for Trump. So the cast of Hamilton did not put themselves at risk by calling him out. What they did at the time was high school bullying.

Luckily it went viral that they did that. It might cost them some tickets but in the end it won't cost them much. Average tickets to the show will probably cost about 250 dollars so it's out of range for many people-like those nasty, red state Trump voters. There is a lot of snobbery from the left in NYC and it probably cost them the election, at least in part.


I waited a bit to post this, I know it's "old news" but I wanted to see what would happen after the initial hype died down. I think all parties have handled it with class at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment