Friday, November 4, 2016

Album of the Weekend

R.E.M-Out of Time

Feeling mellow? I am. R.E.M was always a relaxing band to me. Something to listen to when you need to chill out and relax for a bit. Not that metal and punk doesn't relax me-I actually find it incredibly soothing-but there are some rare times I need something softer to listen too.

And R.E.M is as soft as I'll get. This album is their apex. It didn't get better for them, it doesn't get worse. Everyone knows the song "Losing My Region" and even though it's a popular song, that doesn't mean it isn't good. It's actually fantastic. It's one of the very, very few pop-rockish songs from my childhood that I still listen to today. Contrary to popular belief it has nothing to do with atheism-losing your religion apparently means just losing your temper.

This album stops short of being a masterpiece because of the few songs that are, um, quite bad. "Shiny Happy People" gets stuck in your head and aside from complex brain surgery there is no way you can stop singing it. Believe me, I've tried. Radio Song, the opener to the album, is also an interesting take and an innovative idea for a song, but to me it goes nowhere. "Near Wild Heaven" and "Me in Honey" are pretty good though.

R.E.M has some songs that I really like combined with some songs that I really don't like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment