Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Tattoo plagiarism


Remember the TV show Ink Master? I follow a guy on Facebook who was on the show, his name is Aaron Is. A great tattoo artist from Tampa. I've never gotten tattooed by him and I don't know him personally, for the record, but I admire his artwork.

He has posted a few times about people copying other tattoos as their own. One was a local person, and this one won a contest with a tattoo that looks very much like a tattoo he didn't design. Sure, he added a snake to it and turned her head around, but other than those changes the tattoo is the same.

I'm not sure that plagiarism is illegal-but there should be consequences. It's easier to copy and paste in the world of the internet, but on the flip side it's easier to be called out for it as well. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will be difficult to work after this. Artists don't forget this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. I wonder where you draw the line from "inspired" to "copycat." Nick Simmons, the son of Gene, got into a controversy about that awhile back.

      Delete