Saturday, June 22, 2019

Andrew Dice Clay

Many, many years ago Andrew Dice Clay was the subject of the current moral panic and religious parents were up in arms. He was, of course, banned in my house which made it so much more enticing. So when I went over to a friends house and he had the album, I immediately had to listen to it. I remember laughing at the time-imagine that. Something raunchy and dirty made my 13 year old self laugh. 

I wsa bored a few nights ago and I decided to Youtube old clips of him. I sat there, not offended in the least, but not laughing either. I don't get his act. Sure, in theory anyone who is preforming in front of an audience is playing a character, so he's probably not like this in "real life". Even so, his act isn't funny. It's one thing to be offensive-Bill Hicks was inarguably one of the greatest comedians of all time and he could be quite vulgar, but at least he was funny. Andrew Dice Clay isn't. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel like this. I too went back and watched him and found it completely lacking. Hicks on the other hand....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on Hicks my friend. Hicks is the greatest comedian of all time, then uh, I hate to say this, but Bill Cosby is next. His stand up is an absolute gem.

      Delete
  2. Cosby was quite funny. I miss the era of the comedy record. My old man had a few I remember listening to, cheech and chong especially. Seems most comedians now are all self depricating (which can be funny depending on who it is) or trying to fit f#&k into every other word of their act. Just not appealing and actually never really was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a great point about the death of comedy albums. Since everything is on Youtube now, there is no money to be made by comedians in making a comedy album. Same with musicians too, sadly.

      Delete
  3. Indeed. I live blocks from a comedy club and it used to be packed even for no names. Now onky when the big acts come do people go. Kinda like the punk scene 😲😉

    ReplyDelete