Thursday, June 13, 2019

Rising suicide rate among men

Sadly, I get the feeling this story will be ignored. The suicide rate is rising for poor white men in rural areas.  I don't want to say that I'm "happy" that this story is getting some media attention, after all, I wish this story didn't exist-but I hope and pray that this story goes viral because the issue is so important. 

It bothers me when men are lectured to and their wants and well beings are ignored. Ask yourself this-in General Conference, has their ever been a speaker who told men "You guys are doing great, we love you, and we want you to be healthy and happy?" If I'm wrong, please tell me. We often hear people say those things to women than men get admonished for not being better fathers and husbands. Well, quite frankly, men need support too, and this study shows it. 


2 comments:

  1. "Man up" simply doesn't work. It didn't help me when I was suicidal, homeless and drunk from dawn til dusk. It's bullshit frankly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. This culture ignores the feelings and emotions of men because it's "not masculine" to discuss such things. Because of that, men are often times in far worse shape then women.

      What infuriates me is when society ignores it. Like you said, they'll tell men to "Toughen up" or "man up". Which is simplistic, insulting, and frankly, just really stupid.

      People tell men this and ignore their feelings because they don't want to seem insensitive to women or politically incorrect. So men are basically screwed all around from every corner on this issue. Horrific.

      Delete