Saturday, June 15, 2019

Amazing Valedictorian speech

A valedictorian at a California high school gave an amazing speech.  I wish I had her courage at that age. Hell, I wish I had her courage at my age!

The system failed her to some degree- incompetent teachers, useless staff in the main office,  guidance counselors who do nothing and take credit for it (like the immortal movie Clerks said, my guidance counselor was pretty worthless too) and yet this girl thrived. What is more important than thriving is that she pushed back.  She let everyone know that her school system was a joke, and now it's immortalized. I hope and pray that this story goes viral.

My deeply unpopular opinion is that society over values teachers. Are there good ones? Of course.IN fact, one teacher in 8th grade was the one who inspired me to be a writer. But guess what? There are also incompetent and lazy ones and the public school system is filled with red tape, uncaring administrators and teachers who don't care or are afraid of innovation.

This girl reminds me of one of my heroes. The kid in the famous short story, "The Emperors New Clothes." I can think of no greater compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment